The Australian Children’s Commissioners and Guardians have become the Australian and New Zealand Children’s Commissioners and Guardians (ANZCCG) with the inclusion of our colleagues from across ‘the ditch’. The ANZCCG met on 12 and 13 November 2018 in Adelaide and comprises comprises national, state and territory children and young peoples’ commissioners, guardians and advocates.
The ANZCCG is currently focusing on:
- responding to the over-representation of Indigenous children and young people in disadvantage
- child-focused oversight (Optional Protocol to the Convention Against Torture, and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment)
- the age of criminal responsibility
- children and young people needing greater attention in policy and services
- the detention of children and young people in police facilities, in breach of minimum acceptable standards
Further, the collective voice of the Australian members of the ANZCCG highlighted the following
- the National Apology to Victims and Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse
- children and young people in immigration detention
- children and young people who are criminalised for behaviours related to disability or trauma
Download the ANZCCG November 2018 meeting Communique now.